Sunday, January 16, 2011

Where it started...

Ever since I was a little girl I've loved kids. I was always carrying around a baby doll and on Sundays I tried to hang out in the nursery. I got my first babysitting job when I was 11 and have been caring for kids ever since. (Looking back I can't believe someone trusted me with their 15 month old when I was so young)

All through elementary school I told my mom I wanted to be a mom when I grow up...although I also told her I wanted to be a cow girl. In middle school, my best friend's mom was a obstetrics nurse and I thought that would be the best job ever. By the time I got to high school though, I knew God had giving me a heart for teaching. I took Early Childhood and fell in love with every preschooler I worked with.

When I graduated high school I worked at making that dream a reality. Today I am teaching second grade and although each day is a challenge for multiple reasons, I'm loving every minute of it; I get to spend the day with some amazing kids who have no idea how much they teach me. Ever hear of a quadrabazillion? Apparently it's a very large number.

During Christmas break, this past December, I spent a lot of time with God. Since high school I have wanted to go on a mission trip but I would always find a reason I couldn't go. It's not a good time; I don't think I can afford it; or I can't find the right organization. During one of my times in prayer a question came to me: What is something you have always wanted to do? Immediately I thought about that mission trip and realized all my reasons were just excuses. There was no real reason I couldn't go.

I began looking at several different organizations looking for something with children. I settled on the organization IFRE. I spent quite some time looking through their web site and the different countries they offered volunteer opportunities within. Over and over again I kept going back to Nepal and their orphanages. I emailed the organization and had a response the next day. I did some more research and decided this was where I needed to go.

On June 17th I am leaving Florida and beginning my six week journey in Nepal.

No comments:

Post a Comment