Saturday, June 25, 2011

Nepali weddings and bathrooms

As promised I will tell you about the bathrooms...in Hira's words they are "very simple."

You have a room about 5 feet deep and 10 feet wide. Half way through there is a step up where the "toilet" is located. And by toilet I mean the ceramic bowl is in the cemented into the ground. You have to squat over it and there it does not flush. Most toilets are like this however I have seen one traditional toilet. On the other side of the bathroom is the shower which does is cold water...but at least it's running :)

I will have pictures eventually...still need to figure out how I can upload them.

On another note, I had the opportunity to experience a Nepali wedding yesterday. We arrived around 9:30am and at 10am I watched as they put what looked like red rice on the mans forehead. It has a name and it's part of the Hindu tradition but I'm not really sure what it's called. I was able to pick out the Christians because they didn't have any mark on their head. Surprisingly there were quite a few. After the rice thing they walked around in a parade with the groom and some others who I'm not really sure who they were.

The groom drove off following the band and the men followed. The women stayed back to cook or sit. Around 1 we ate. I'm not sure what it all was except the Daal Bhaat. I know there was some chicken as well as potatoes and it was all very spicy. I did my best to eat it and "mommy" was kind enough to notice my hesitation in drinking their water so she sent her daughter Alisha to buy me a bottle.

After we ate, we went back outside to dance. One of the older women kept dragging me out to dance. They found my dancing quite entertaining as I'm sure anyone would have...I have video of this but it will have to wait until I get back to the US :)

We danced for several hours than around 7pm "mommy" said we needed to go. I guess the bride and the groom come back to the house later but "mommy" was worried we wouldn't be able to get a bus back home if we stayed much later. We walked about a mile up hill to get back to the main road then we caught a bus back to the house.

It was a fun day but I was exhausted and actually slept from 9-6 without waking up once :)

No comments:

Post a Comment