Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Movies

The kids love action films here and in my opinion they're very cheesy. I don't understand a word they're saying and the graphics are awful compared to the films in the US. However, this morning when they asked if we could go to the theater, I couldn't resist seeing the excitement on their faces. We have watched several movies at the house but this was the first time going to the theater.

They all got dressed up in their best clothes. I was planning on wearing the t-shirt and and long shorts I had on but Hira insisted I dress nicer...so I switched into a skirt. We walked the 10 minute walk up to the main road...all 19 of us. I can only imagine what we looked like to others. Two of the younger boys, Sudip and Soraj, held tight to my hands.

At the top we waited for the bus...and by bus I mean a big van that you stuff as many people as you can into. In addition to our 19 there were probably already 20 or so people in there. We just pack ourselves in like sardines and hold on tight for the bumpy ride.

It took about 15 minutes to get to the "movie hall" and then we all filed out of the bus and over to the theater. I guess in Nepal you pay for a certain area of seats. We purchased the cheaper seats which meant we sat in front of the theater. It wasn't bad though, we were about 6 rows back from the front.

As I said I didn't understand a word they were saying aside from the few phrases I've picked up in the last week, but I figured out the story line well enough. It played for about an hour than there was a 5 minute intermission and the second half was about an hour as well. All in all it was fun and the kids really seemed to enjoy it. Besides school, most of them don't really get to go very far outside of their neighborhood.

Sudip and Sushila sat by me.

3 comments:

  1. Gretchen,
    I'm really enjoying the posts. Keep 'em coming. We'll pray for you in our Bible study tonight. So proud to be your pastor.

    dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is very nice> ..

    I just want blogwalking>> ..


    and if you intend to visit the clay behind my blog is ok !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are able to see and do new things. thank you so much for sharing. Praying for all of you.
    Janet and Gary Dover

    ReplyDelete