Thursday, July 7, 2011

Contentment

It was three weeks ago that I started this journey with very few ideas about what to expect. I was told there wouldn't be flushing toilets, hot water, or even power at times...you don't truly realize what that means until you are living in it. I also knew the kids were suppose to be in school from 9-4 and I would have free time then. I didn't expect to have air conditioning and assumed their would be mosquitoes. All of these were things I came here expecting, but I've learned so much more.

My first day at the children's home was a little difficult because I expected them to know some English. Most of them know enough to communicate although we still struggle because of our theirs and my accents. I also never considered how difficult it would be to learn all 22 names. If they were names like Joe and Brittney I would have had no problem...but they're names like Sudarson, Monisha, Sapana, Vhim. Seeing them in print makes it easier which is why I had Vhim write them all down for me the second day :)

I was also told that they would provide my meals at the children's home but I didn't know it would be Daal Bhaat at every meal; don't get me wrong, Daal Bhaat is very tasty, it just becomes old after you've had it three times a day for three weeks. Occasionally we get some fried rice and potatoes or ramen noodles for lunch. This meal schedule has actually made going into Thamel even more exciting because I get to eat something different.

Speaking of Thamel, let me describe the city to you. For starters, I am staying in Kathmandu which is the capitol of Nepal. In Kathmandu there are many sub-districts. Narayanton is where I am and it's sort of like the suburbs. It's very pretty here with lots of farmland. The pollution is much lower here because there are less cars driving through. Thamel is were most of the tourists go. The streets are lined with shops and there are many cars driving through there. It smells awful and you constantly get people (especially trained kids) asking for money. There are several more sub-districts in Kathmandu of which I'm not familiar with the names of but it's an interesting city.

To get back on track, although there were many things I was expecting, there were also several things I didn't know or fully appreciate until I arrived here. I have found that there have been many times here that I was bored..I'm so used to constantly having something to do but here there is so much time to just do nothing. Often I have filled those times with reading, but I also try to just spend time with the kids. Even the youngest one who is 6 has no problem just sitting and really not doing anything. Many times we just sit and talk, although they typically are speaking Nepali. I can pick up a few words and try to contribute to the conversation but it's also fun to just listen.

I went from my life in Florida where I could turn on the TV, take a hot shower, go get a pedicure, go to the grocery store, a restaurant, the beach, or any number of things when ever I felt like going, to here in Nepal where I don't have any of those luxuries. Just coming to the internet cafe to talk to my friends and family or type this blog takes about a 5 minute walk (sometimes through mud) to do. I can't just turn on the faucet for a glass of water because there may be bacteria that I'm not used to in the water. I have to go to the shop, which fortunately there is on attached to our house, and purchase bottled water.

I say all this not to complain about what things are like here but to share what God has taught me through this. I have lived the life where I have all that I could want and now I am experiencing what it's like to not have it all..but through that I have learned that I'm doing just fine without it! In fact, yesterday I was actually looking forward to our dinner of Daal Bhaat :)

Paul wrote to the church of Phillipi:
Not that I speak from want; for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. Philippians 4:11-12

This means more to me now then it ever did. I have three more weeks here of which I will spend almost 2 of them hiking through the Himalayas and I can't wait to see what else God teaches me!

No comments:

Post a Comment