Thursday, July 14, 2011

What's happened and is to come

I realized today it has been a week since I updated this last...so what can I share about the last week.

I walked to Thamel early in the week which was about 5 miles and fairly enjoyable. I enjoyed walking, the dirty air was not too much fun though. I also took a bus on my own for the first time. When Michael was here (He left last Sunday), we would spit the cost of a cab. I didn't particularly like spending $4 on a cab when a bus was only about 25 cents...I know $4 isn't much but it adds up. Once Michael left I couldn't bring myself to pay for the cab. So, I tried walking and the bus.

I also had my first ride on a motorcycle. Although in the US I prefer to stay off of them...I think it has been my favorite mode of transportation here.

Over the last week I have been preparing for the next two weeks...

While I've been here I have made several new friends one of which is Miranda. Tomorrow the two of us will be heading to Pokhara for an 11 day trek in the Himalayas. I'm very excited about this because honestly, how many people can say they've gone hiking in the Himalayas? (Not to mention I have been in desperate need to speak English with someone :) )

The kids on the other hand are not so happy about me going. Sunil has tried making many deals with me to convince me to stay. I had to promise them I would come back when I return but he still wasn't happy because it will only be for 2-3 days. I leave Nepal on July 31st and will arrive back in Orlando on August 1st...provided there are no problems with the flight. (Please pray...I don't know that I could handle that again!)

I'm not really sure what else I can share right now except that while I'm on my trek I will not have internet access...so I will not update this again until I return. I can assure however that I will have many pictures of my time in the mountains!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gretchen,

    You can't imagine how happy I am when I found your blog. I'm also planning to go to Nepal to volunteer at The Helpless Colony (also thru IFRE). But while researching about the organization, I happened to find a couple of complains on some traveling forums and they recommend "Hope and Home Orphanage". So I'd like to know if you had any bad experience with IFRE, Helpless Colony, or Nepal in general at all? I noticed you stopped blogging after the trek. What happened? I would really appreciate if you can give me some tips!

    By the way, my name is Huong Le, a girl from Vietnam :) my email address is vietmailchotoi@yahoo.com

    I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you in advance, Gretchen!

    Huong Le

    ReplyDelete